Error: Please specify a city, area, point of interest, or hotel
Jan 29, 2018
Error: Please specify a city, area, point of interest, or hotel
We chose hotels to satisfy the need for convenience when travelling and compared hotels for proximity to the airport, price, guest ratings, freebies offered, on-site dining and pools, and nearby restaurants, shopping and entertainment.
Editor's Top 8 Picks
8.5 | Very Good
Four Points by Sheraton Cambridge Kitchener Ontario
210 Preston Parkway
6.5 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$116
Well-liked Cambridge hotel near Hwy 401 with comfy beds, indoor pool, gym and restaurant
Tastefully decorated rooms, a saltwater indoor pool, on-site restaurant, friendly staff, free Wi-Fi and parking are some of the highlights of this hotel. Guests have given it high scores. It is close to restaurants and shopping, the Doon Valley Golf Course, Empire Movie Theatre, and Chicopee Tubing Park. The airport is only a 12-minute drive away.
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, parking, airport shuttle, bottled water
- Clean, bright, tastefully decorated rooms, according to guests
- Guests praised staff
- Guests liked this hotel's proximity to the 401, shopping and restaurants
- Guests typically enjoyed the hotel's "heavenly beds"
- A couple of guests were bothered by noise from guests in adjacent rooms
- Some guests complained about the 18% gratuity charge added at the on-site restaurant
8.4 | Very Good
Hilton Garden Inn Kitchener
746 Old Hespeler Road
6.6 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$87
Popular north Cambridge hotel with indoor pool, restaurant, lounge and jacuzzi suites
Guests have said that this hotel offers good value. It has an on-site restaurant and pool, is close to shopping and eateries, is only 10 minutes to downtown Cambridge and 15 to the airport. The Grand River Conservation area offers camping, hiking and canoeing only 10 minutes away. Freebies include Wi-Fi and parking.
- Free Wi-Fi and free parking
- Guests perceived good value for the room rate
- Guests liked this hotel's proximity to the 401, shops and restaurants
- Friendly, accommodating staff, according to guests
- Some guests were bothered by noise from guests in other rooms
8.9 | Very Good
Kitchener Inn & Suites
4355 King Street East
5.7 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$88
Highly praised southeast Kitchener hotel with indoor pool, jacuzzi suites & free breakfast
The Hampton Inn has received a stellar ratings. It's only 11 minutes to the airport and 11 to downtown Kitchener. Although prices were higher than our other picks, it supplies a free hot buffet breakfast in addition to free Wi-Fi and parking. The hotel does not have an on-site restaurant, but there are a few within a 3-minute walk and there is a pool on site. Deer Ridge Golf Course and the Doon Heritage Village are nearby.
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking, free hot buffet breakfast
- Spotlessly clean rooms, according to guests
- Guests found the beds very comfortable
- Friendly, courteous staff, according to guests
- Many guests enjoyed the hotel's pool
- Guests found the location convenient to shopping, restaurants and the highway
- There was the odd complaint about the breakfast
- A few guests complained about spotty Wi-Fi connections
7.9 | Good
Best Western Plus Cambridge Hotel
730 Hespeler Road
6.7 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$80
Well-kept, clean hotel with a well-liked, free hot breakfast, indoor pool and pleasant staff
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking, free hot & cold breakfast, free local calls
- Many guests appreciated the quality of the staff who were kind, helpful and pleasant
- Many guests liked the location of the hotel, close to restaurants, shopping and highway
- Many guests liked the free breakfast for quality and selection
- Many guests said the hotel, pool and rooms were clean and well maintained
- A few guests thought the hotel was a little dated
- A couple of guests said the breakfast room was small and lacked seating for all the guests
7.8 | Good
Best Western PLUS Kitchener-Waterloo
2899 King Street East
5.4 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$76
Clean rooms, a 7-minute drive from Fairview Park Mall
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking, free continental breakfast
- Guests liked this hotel's proximity to Hwy 8 and Fairview Park Mall
- Good customer service, according to guests
- Clean, comfortable rooms, according to guests
- Some guests were bothered by noise from guests in the hallways
- Some guests felt that the breakfast lacked in both selection and quality of food
9.0 | Excellent
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cambridge-Waterloo Ontario
800 Jamieson Parkway
8.5 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$141
Well loved all-suite Cambridge hotel with kitchens, jacuzzis, indoor pool and free dinners
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, wired Internet, breakfast buffet, dinner buffet, parking area shuttle
- Excellent customer service, according to guests
- Guests praised clean, spacious rooms
- Comfy beds with high quality bedding, according to guests
- Many found this hotel to provide good value
- Guests enjoyed the free breakfast and weekday dinners
- A couple guests experienced technical difficulties with DVD players and in-room movies
8.0 | Very Good
Radisson Hotel Kitchener
2960 King Street East
5.3 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$114
Popular Kitchener hotel off Hwy 8 with indoor pool, restaurants and free area shuttle
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, wired Internet, parking, area shuttle
- Rooms were very clean and well maintained
- Location convenient to restaurants, shopping and the highway
- The staff were very well liked
- Many guests liked the restaurants on site
- Wi-Fi was rated very good
- A few guests complained of noise disturbances
- Some guests missed having an included breakfast
- A few found the sleep-number beds difficult to adjust
8.3 | Very Good
Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
700 Hespeler Rd
6.7 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$95
Highly praised Cambridge hotel with popular restaurant, kitchenette & jacuzzi suites
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking
- Exceptional customer service, according to guests
- Guests said rooms were clean, modern and bright
- Guests highly praised the on-site dining at Bruce Restaurant
- Location was well liked for its proximity to Hwy 401, shopping and restaurants
- A couple of guests had noisy A/C units
3 Other Hotels Close to Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$77
East Kitchener hotel with indoor & outdoor pools and restaurant but mixed reviews
This hotel is an approximate 11-minute drive or taxi ride from the airport, located in Kitchener. The area around the hotel is spread out, with commercial spaces and some residential buildings, with restaurants and other hotels nearby. Downtown Kitchener can be reached by a 10-minute drive or a 20-minute bus ride, and downtown Waterloo is 15 minutes away.
Parking is free at this hotel for the duration of your stay. Extended parking for an additional day or two can be requested by contacting the front desk.
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking
- Professional, courteous staff, according to guests
- Clean rooms and common areas, according to guests
- Guests liked this hotel's proximity to Hwy 8 and to the Fairview Park Mall
- A few guests were bothered by noise from guests in the hallways
- Some guests complained about noisy air conditioning units
Book from ~C$55
Older budget hotel in Kitchener with an outdoor pool and free parking but mixed reviews
This hotel is located in Kitchener, and is about a 12-minute drive or taxi ride from the airport. The area around the hotel is mainly residential, however, there is a small shopping plaza and a few eateries across the street. Downtown Kitchener is an approximate 10-minute drive or a 15- to 20-minute bus ride, from the hotel. Downtown Waterloo is 13 minutes' drive from the hotel.
This inn offers free parking for the duration of your stay, however, they are unable to offer extended parking due to limited spaces.
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, parking, local calls, morning muffins
- Guests found the hotel's location convenient to the highway and restaurants
- Cheap room prices were attractive to some guests
- Some guests found a clean bed and hot shower
- Many guests complained of poorly kept rooms, old and stained furniture and dirty carpets
- Several guests complained of the presence of prostitutes
- The staff received mixed reviews
5.6 | Mediocre
Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
1333 Weber Street East
5.6 km from Waterloo Airport
Book from ~C$66
Near Hwy 8 and Conestoga Pkwy, indoor pool, but mixed guest reviews
This hotel is located in Kitchener and is an approximate 12-minute taxi ride or drive from the airport. A small shopping plaza is within a 5-minute walk from the hotel, and the area directly surrounding the hotel is mainly residential.
Downtown Kitchener is an approximate 10-minute drive or taxi ride from this hotel. To travel to downtown Kitchener by bus, there is a bus route that stops right outside of the hotel, and the travel time is around 20 to 25 minutes. Downtown Waterloo is about a 13 minute drive away.
This hotel offers complimentary parking for the duration of your stay. Extended parking may be available at a rate of $10 per day after check-out and it is recommended to contact the front desk about this option.
- Free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and free parking
- Several guests found the location convenient for accessing area highways and attractions by car
- A couple of reviewers described their rooms and beds as comfortable
- No on-site restaurant
- Many guests described their rooms as dated and in need of upgrades
- A few reviewers said that the rooms did not meet their cleanliness expectations
- A few guests complained about the selection of food at the free breakfast
- A few reviewers said that the in-room heating was ineffective
Tips For Staying Near Waterloo Airport
Waterloo Airport, or The Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF), is located in the town of Breslau. The name of the airport can be a bit misleading, as it is technically closer to the towns of Kitchener and Cambridge than Waterloo.
Waterloo is located 17 km, or a 20-minute drive, from the airport. Downtown Kitchener is 12 km, or an approximate 17-minute drive, from the airport by the quickest route, and downtown Cambridge is 14 km, or a 20-minute drive from the airport.
The hotels closest to the airport are located in Kitchener and Cambridge, and are all located within a 10- to 15-minute drive from the airport. Because the hotels closest to the airport are all within the same general region, they are also all about a 20-minute bus ride or 10-minute drive from downtown Kitchener.
The airport has three parking lots for long-term parking and a small area designated for short-term parking with a limit of 1 hour.
Rates for the short-term lot are $1 per 15 minutes and $1 for every additional 15 minutes until the 1-hour limit, to a maximum rate of $4 for 1 hour.
For the long-term lots, rates are $3 per hour, $6 per day or $42 per week. Parking passes are to be paid in advance at one of the six self-serve kiosks and must be displayed face-up on the dashboard. Accessible parking is located in Parking Lot 1 in front of the airport terminal.
Getting Around: Driving
The approximate travel time for driving into Cambridge, Kitchener or Waterloo from the airport is 20 minutes.
The airport has two car rental agencies that offer rentals through Avis, National and Hertz. Car rental rates will vary depending on date and length of stay, however, the average price for a rental at the airport is approximately $45 to $60 per day.
There are several taxi companies that offer service to and from the airport. Contact numbers and websites for each company can be found on Waterloo Airport's website. Taxi fares will vary depending on the distance of your hotel, however, the range for a taxi ride to one of the hotels closest to the airport will be about $18 to $26.
Getting Around: Public Transit
There is public transit in the Waterloo region, run by Grand River Transit. However, the buses do not run directly to the airport, and the closest stops will be about a 10-minute taxi ride away. Routes will vary depending on which hotel you are staying at, however, there are general directions for taking public transit into Kitchener or Cambridge.
To take the bus into Kitchener, you must first take a taxi to the nearest stop at Lackner Blvd. and Corfield Dr. The bus ride takes approximately 50 minutes and a one-way fare will cost $3.00.
To take the bus into Cambridge, you must first take a taxi to the nearest stop at Boxwood Dr. and Vondrau Dr. The total travel time is around 1 hour and a one-way fare costs $3.00.
Because the closest bus stops are a taxi ride away from the airport, despite public transit being cheaper, it may be quicker and more straightforward for guests without access to a vehicle to take a taxi all the way to their hotel.
The airport has one restaurant called Aviator Cafe that serves both sit-down meals as well as airline-approved snacks and small meals to bring onto your flight. It should be noted that this restaurant is located in the airport departure lounge and serves those boarding departing flights. A valid boarding pass is required for entry.
For passengers both arriving and departing, there are two vending machines, located in the main lobby and the departure lounge, that offer snacks and hot and cold beverages.