Error: Please specify a city, area, point of interest, or hotel
Oct 13, 2016
Error: Please specify a city, area, point of interest, or hotel
University of Manitoba
Editor's Top 2 Picks
9.0 | Excellent
BEST WESTERN PLUS Pembina Inn & Suites
1714 Pembina Highway
2.4 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$107
Well-liked south Winnipeg hotel with indoor pool and waterslide and many freebies
- Free daily hot and cold breakfast buffet and free soup and snacks most evenings, free 24 hr coffee and tea
- Free wireless Internet throughout, free airport shuttle, free parking, free local calls, free guest voicemail, and free newspapers
- Indoor pool with waterslide and whirlpool enjoyable according to guests
- Many guests praised the breakfast buffet, the clean hotel, the comfy beds and the friendly staff
- One guest had difficulty sleeping due to traffic noise
- One guest thought the pool was a little small
8.5 | Very Good
Econo Lodge Winnipeg South
1105 St Mary's Road
3.6 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$71
Clean and comfortable south Winnipeg hotel with restaurant, free breakfast & free parking
- Free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, free parking and free newspapers
- Many guests described their rooms as clean and comfortable
- The staff were frequently complimented for their friendly service
- Several guests thought that the room rates were reasonable
- Several reviewers praised the food at the free breakfast and at the on-site pub
- No elevator
- A couple of guests found this property difficult to locate
4 Other Hotels Close to University of Manitoba
7.7 | Good
Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry
1824 Pembina Highway
2.1 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$78
South Winnipeg hotel with theme suites, restaurant with sports bar and pool with waterslide
This hotel is a 4-minute drive or taxi ride from the university. The stop for Route 160 is right across the street from the hotel and will take around 10 minutes to arrive at the university.
- Free Wi-Fi throughout, free parking, free local calls, free newspapers, and children under 17 stay free
- Spacious and clean rooms, according to guests
- Many guests found the beds to be comfy
- Guests liked the pool and waterslide
- Some guests thought that the location was convenient
- The staff were appreciated by many guests for going above and beyond
- Noisy hallways was a concern for several guests
- A few guests complained of poor wireless Internet connectivity
- The restaurant's food and service received mixed reviews
8.4 | Very Good
Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
2935 Pembina Highway
2.6 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$77
Comfortable hotel in Winnipeg's south end with restaurant, indoor pool and free parking
This hotel is a 9-minute taxi ride or drive from the university. The stop for Route 72 is a 4-minute walk away and the stop for Route 162 is a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Each bus route will take approximately 10 minutes to reach the university from the hotel.
- Free to all guests: Wi-Fi throughout hotel, parking and local calls
- Staff very friendly and helpful, according to guests
- Location was touted as convenient to restaurants, groceries, fast food, gas stations
- Many guests praised the hotel's modern decor, cleanliness, comfy beds and quiet rooms
- Many guests enjoyed the pool and hot tub
- Guests enjoyed the food and service at the restaurant
- Wi-Fi was quick and worked well, according to many guests
- Guests said the hotel offered great value
- A couple of guests thought the pool was small
- A couple of guests complained of noise transfer from rooms near to the elevator
8.2 | Very Good
Comfort Inn Winnipeg South
3109 Pembina Highway
3.4 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$69
South Winnipeg hotel near Trans-Canada Hwy with well-liked free breakfast and free parking
This hotel is an approximate 7-minute drive or taxi ride from the university. The closest bus stops for Route 162 and Route 72 going directly to the university are both around a 9-minute walk from the hotel and the ride on both will take around 10 to 12 minutes.
There is a closer bus stop at a 2-minute walk from the hotel, however, the route requires a transfer between Route 162 and Route 78. This ride will take around 13 minutes.
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, continental breakfast with hot choices, parking, 24hr coffee in lobby, newspapers, local calls
- Clean, comfortable and reasonably priced according to guests
- Guest reviewers highly praised the staff of this hotel
- Internet connection was said to be reliable, according to reviewers
- Good and varied breakfast, according to guests
- Guests said it was quiet although close to the highway
- Guests thought the location was convenient to restaurants
- Guests liked the drive-up rooms
- The two storey hotel has no elevator
- Accessing the hotel from the highway a bit tricky according to some guests
- A couple of guests were disturbed by noisy guests
8.1 | Very Good
Holiday Inn Winnipeg-South
1330 Pembina Highway
3.7 km from University of Manitoba
Book from ~C$86
Comfortable south Winnipeg hotel with indoor and kid's pools and well-liked buffets
This hotel is an 8-minute drive or taxi ride from the university. The stop for Route 160 is 1 minute away on foot and the ride to the university will take around 13 minutes.
- Free wireless Internet throughout hotel, free airport shuttle, free parking, and free local calls
- Children under 19 stay free if using existing beds, and children under 12 eat free off the menu when accompanied by an adult
- Very friendly and helpful staff according to guests
- Guests liked the breakfast buffet and restaurant food
- Guests enjoyed the pool facilities and thought they were clean and well kept
- Many guests said the rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comfy
- Most guests thought the location was convenient
- A couple of guests felt inconvenienced that the parking garage was not connected to the hotel and only accessible by going outside
- Some guests report that the hotel is showing its age
Tips For Staying Near University of Manitoba
The University of Manitoba is located in Fort Garry, a neighbourhood within the southwestern part of Winnipeg. It is surrounded by the banks of the Red River to the east and northeast, residential neighbourhoods to the south and the Pembina Highway to the west.
There are several short-term and long-term visitor parking locations throughout the university campus and a full map showing the visitor parking locations can be found on the University of Manitoba website.
Short-term or metered parking is available for a 2-hour maximum with a metered cost of $1.25 per hour.
Long-term "pay-and-display" parking is available for a 2-hour minimum to an 8-hour maximum. The rate for this parking is also $1.25 per hour with a daily maximum of $9.
Getting Around: Driving
As the campus is spread across approximately 580 acres, driving directions are given under each hotel to the nearest access point within the campus.
Five of the hotels listed below are north of the campus, and their nearest point of access is the entrance on University Crescent, closest to St. Paul's College and the Investor's Group Field.
Three of the hotels are south of the campus and the closest point is on Chancellor Matheson Road, near the University Stadium.
Driving times from the hotels listed below to the university range from approximately 3 to 8 minutes.
Getting Around: Public Transit
There are bus routes available to travel between the university and all of the hotels listed below.
There are five hotels located north of the university, most of which are within walking distance to bus stops for Route 160, and one within walking distance to Route 76. Both routes stop within the university campus on Dafoe Road, close to the Asper School of Business, the Drake Centre and Tache Hall.
There are two hotels located south of the university, which are within walking distance of bus stops for Route 72, Route 75 and Route 162. These routes stop on the university campus at the same point as Route 160.
As the University of Manitoba campus is quite large, there are many dining options and eateries located throughout including sit-down options as well as Tim Hortons and Starbucks. A full list can be found on the university's website, including details on each eatery and locations.