Editor's Top 10 Picks
Business travellers can utilize a host of business-related amenities in each suite which exceeds the standards for modern hotels including a work station with a computer, monitor and laser printer, IT support during regular business hours, as well as free photocopy and fax services. Clothes steamers are an added plus, and guests will appreciate free laundry facilities on site, along with free detergent.
Other free amenities include Wi-Fi, a generous and varied breakfast and local calls. Parking is reasonable and available outdoors and underground. There’s a 24-hr fitness centre making it easy to get in some needed workouts and the on-site restaurant, Maclaren's on Elgin, serves lunch and dinner. The hotel is a 5-minute drive or 15-minute walk to Byward Market and the Rideau Centre.
- Free wireless Internet, free movie channels, free in-room coffee and tea, free local calls, in-room desktop computers with free printing, free breakfast, and free guest laundry facilities with free laundry detergent
- Most guests found their rooms to be clean, spacious, and well appointed with modern amenities and full kitchens
- Guests said the staff were courteous and friendly
- Ideal location in walking distance of parliament, Rideau Centre, Sparks St, restaurants and pubs
- Guests enjoyed the varied selections of the free breakfast
- Several reviewers said they were likely to return to this property
- The on-site restaurant, Maclaren's on Elgin, serves lunch and dinner
- A few guests were disturbed in their rooms by street noise
- A couple of reviewers thought the property could use minor upgrades
- A few guests found the parking facility small and cramped
- Parking is $11 per day or $13 for underground
Guest rooms are spacious and inviting and feature high-definition TVs, mini-fridges and microwaves. The Pavillion Pantry on site makes snacking or light in-room meals an easy convenience by providing microwavable meals. There’s also an on-site restaurant and indoor pool for guest use.
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking, free airport shuttle
- Many guests found the location convenient for accessing the airport
- Several guests said the rooms were clean, comfortable and well-equipped
- Many guests appreciated the friendly and helpful staff
- Some guests found the beds comfy
- Some guests thought the hotel was expensive
- A few guests complained about the service and food prices at the restaurant
Guest rooms are basic, but comfortable and clean and come with the customary amenities along with flat screen TVs and mini-fridges. The hotel offers Wi-Fi, breakfast and parking for free and allows guests to park their vehicle at the motel while travelling.
- Free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and free parking
- Many guests described their rooms as clean and comfortable
- Many reviewers said that the rooms were quiet
- Many guests found the location convenient for exploring south Ottawa by car
- A few guests thought that the room rates were reasonable
- A few reviewers praised the staff for their friendly service
- Several guests complained about a poor selection at the free breakfast
It is well priced, and offers free parking along with free Wi-Fi adding value. Guests have spoken highly of this hotel. Some enjoyed delicious meals at The Bistro restaurant on site. Others mentioned that their rooms were spacious with convenient amenities of wet bar, mini-fridge and microwave, and well decorated with comfortable beds.
- Free Wi-Fi, free wired Internet, free parking
- Spacious, clean, well-equipped rooms, according to guests
- Guests liked this hotel's proximity to shopping, restaurants and attractions
- Good customer service, according to guests
- A few guests said that the pool was small
The pet-friendly hotel provides added amenities of indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, 24-hour gym, in-room massage and 24-hour business centre. The Presse Café offers light meals on site.
- Free Wi-Fi and free local calls
- Clean, comfortable rooms according to guests
- Guests appreciated the well-stocked kitchens
- Guests liked the staff of this hotel and considered them to offer professional and friendly service
- Guests liked being centrally located near the Byward Market
- Parking costs $20 per night with in-and-out privileges
- A few guests were bothered by street noise
- Dated decor, according to guests
Guests loved everything about this hotel, its modern and very clean rooms with beautiful views, the décor, the dining and the unbeatable location. Guests say the staff are exceptional, providing first-class service.
- Many reviewers found their rooms to be clean and spacious
- The customer service was complimented by many guests
- Several guests were impressed with the views of Parliament and the city skyline from their rooms
- Many guests described the location of this hotel as convenient for visiting downtown attractions on foot
- Some reviewers found the elevators slow
- Several guests found the wireless Internet service slow, unreliable, and the fee of $15.95 per 24 hours expensive
- Valet parking is $32 per day or $40 for oversized vehicles
Guests found the hotel to be well maintained and enjoyed dining on site, the saltwater pool and the rooms, especially the newly renovated ones, for the comfort of the beds and views across the Rideau Canal.
- Guests liked the historic charm of this hotel
- Excellent service from staff, according to guests
- Guests found the location convenient to a number of attractions
- Clean, comfortable rooms, according to guests
- Decor needed updating, according to guests
- A few guests found the beds uncomfortable
- Wi-Fi is $14.95 for 24 hours
- Self-parking is $28 and valet parking is $38 per night
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, hot breakfast, underground parking
- Indoor heated swimming pool, hot tub, fitness centre, and business centre
- Many guests mentioned their rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable
- A number of guests remarked that the hotel staff were friendly, efficient, and accommodating
- Several guests mentioned the location was convenient as many local attractions were easily accessible by car
- Several guests mentioned that the breakfast area was too crowded
- A few guests noted that room interiors were dated
- Many guests complimented the cleanliness of their rooms
- Many reviewers found the staff to be friendly and helpful
- A few guests complimented the on-site restaurant and room service
- A few reviewers thought the fitness facility was well equipped
- Free high-speed Internet, free local calls and free parking
- A few guests were disturbed by noise in their rooms
- Several reviewers complained about smelling cigarette smoke in their rooms
- Free continental breakfast, free shuttle service to YOW, free parking, and children under 13-years old stay for free (with a paying adult)
- Many guests found their rooms to be spacious and clean
- Many reviewers complimented the friendly and helpful staff
- Several guests found the location convenient for travel to the airport (YOW)
- Several guests found the room rate expensive
- A few reviewers complained about the on-site pool being small and cold
Tips For Staying In Ottawa
Choosing A Hotel in Ottawa
Quick Summary of Most Popular Areas
Downtown Ottawa: home to Parliament Hill and the Supreme Court of Canada
Byward Market: crawling with activity at all hours from cafes, museums and street markets to restaurants, pubs and clubs
Where to Stay in Ottawa
Ottawa really is a beautiful city, as it should be considering it is the capital city of Canada (and ultimately where all your tax dollars go). The integration of the Rideau Canal (both beautiful and functional in the summer and winter) is scenic and really creates a certain uniqueness and maximization of a waterfront compared to other cities (ahem...Toronto). You can't help but feel a little patriotic when you visit downtown Ottawa to see the historic Parliament Hill. A patriotism we Canadians seem to only let out as a unified voice once every 4 years when our Olympic men's hockey team dominates the rest of the world (except in 2006, but we won't speak of that). Also on that note, if you do plan to visit Ottawa I would highly recommend going for Canada Day. The crowds are absolutely insane, but it's definitely an experience everyone should have at least once in their life.
Home to both the Supreme Court of Canada and one of the Canadian Mint locations, downtown Ottawa is pretty much where the laws and money of Canada are made. The Ottawa Mint really only produces commemorative and collector coins and not high volumes of paper money.
While there are not a lot of hotels in Byward Market this hip hangout area (just across the Rideau Canal from downtown) is an entirely walkable four blocks of boutiques, restaurants, outdoor markets, spas, museums and art galleries.
Staying in a hotel near Ottawa airport is a convenient option if you need to quickly get to and from the airport, however be advised that these are not near downtown or Byward Market. If you are in Ottawa for even just a short while and have business in the city it would probably be best to stay in a hotel in downtown Ottawa instead of taking a taxi or public transit in and out of the city everyday.
If jumping to another province sounds exciting (it really isn't, but anyway...) then you're in luck when staying in Ottawa. A short trip across the Alexandra Bridge or King Edward Avenue brings you to nearby Gatineau, home to the Canadian Museum of History, a great place for an educational and family-friendly afternoon. But, why bother, you're probably better off just taking in the awesome atmosphere in Byward Market.