The Deerhurst Resort has recently been getting a facelift and more renovations are slated for the spring of 2014. It seems that guests all agree that the area is beautiful and that there's a lot to do once there.
The hotel on site is not a bargain hotel and the costs can add up for extra surcharged activities plus meals, especially for guests who are budgeting their costs. There is a resort fee added to the price of the room to cover some of the hotel's costs such as Wi-Fi, swimming pool, hot tub, fitness facility and parking.
This resort fee also includes a few activities and the equipment for those activities, such as snowshoeing, skating, cross-country skiing in the winter and waterfront activities such as the Splash Zone (inflatable waterpark on the lake), canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, life jackets, beach access and chaise lounges, outdoor swimming pools, plus beach and pool towels.
If these are the activities you want to do while you are there, then you will be looking at the cost charged for your room and extra dollars spent for meals.
If you are on a budget and want to save on your vacation costs, you can stay in the town of Huntsville at a cheaper hotel and buy a day pass at the resort for outside guests, which currently costs $10 for an adult or $20 for a family of 4. This day pass gives you access to the resort's indoor swimming pool, hot tub and fitness facility plus the *included outdoor activities of the resort.
*It's recommended to call the resort at 1-800-461-4393 to ascertain which activities and equipment will be included in your day pass as it may vary from season to season.
Those activities that are not included in the room rate at the Deerhurst hotel are charged at the same rate for both outside guests and guests of the hotel.
Editor's Picks were chosen based upon value for price while comparing amenities offered, room rates and guests' opinions online.
Editor's Top 4 Picks
What makes the difference here? It looks like the staff are genuinely caring and friendly and make people feel at home. The breakfast is consistently satisfying and well done with excellent staff on hand, and the facilities, beds, linens are of excellent quality and impeccably clean.
There's a pool and gym on site and their suites include a kitchenette area with microwave and mini-fridge. They're a 1-minute walk from a shopping mall (restaurants, Walmart, groceries, wine) and a 10-minute drive to the Deerhurst Resort.
- Free breakfast, parking, Wi-Fi and wired internet connection
- Very clean and comfortable rooms, said many guests
- Excellent complimentary breakfast, according to many guests
- Numerous guests complimented the location
- The staff were excellent, according to several guests
- Some guests said the breakfast area was crowded
- A few reviewers complained the pool was too small
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, parking, local calls
- Guests found the rooms large, clean and nicely decorated
- Guest reviewers found the staff very friendly and helpful
- Some guests commented on comfortable beds with new bedding
- Guests liked the location for its proximity to downtown, good restaurants and the river
- A couple of guests had trouble with the free Wi-Fi
- No elevator to 2nd floor
There's a pool on site plus a BBQ, guest laundry, and elevator. All rooms come with mini-fridges and guests report the hotel to be clean with comfortable beds. It's an easy 3-minute walk to SmartCentres mall (Walmart, restaurants, groceries, wine).
- Free Wi-Fi and free parking
- The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet, according to guests
- Guests liked the location for having easy access to the highway and for being close to restaurants
- Guests said the staff were courteous and helpful
- Many guests thought the hotel provided good value
- A few guests thought amenities like in-room coffee and continental breakfast would have been nice
- Some guests said their rooms were small
- A couple of guests complained about noise transfer
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, hot breakfast, parking, local calls
- Staff was friendly and helpful, according to guests
- Many guests enjoyed the variety offered at breakfast
- The rooms were clean and comfortable, said many guests
- Several guests thought the hotel offered good value
- Guests liked the location, close to highway, shopping, restaurants and downtown
- Some guests thought the hotel was too far from downtown
- The hotel was a bit expensive, according to a few guests
6 Other Hotels Close to Deerhurst Resort
- Free Wi-Fi, wired internet and parking
- Beautiful natural location, according to many guests
- Many guests found the staff very friendly and helpful
- The food at the on-site restaurants was highly praised by several guests
- Numerous guests found the in-room amenities to be excellent
- The live nightly show was praised by many guests
- Excellent wedding and conference location, according to many guests who were there for that purpose
- The rooms need many updates, according to a lot of guests
- The food, rooms and activities were overpriced, said many guests
- Numerous guests were not told about the 5% 'amenities fee'
- Some guests found the toiletries inadequate
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking
- Nice location, with scenic waterfront views, according to guests
- Guests praised friendly staff
- Guests liked the quality and selection of food in the on site restaurant
- Some guests complained about aging decor
- A few guests complained about thin walls
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, breakfast, parking, local calls, newspapers
- Guests often found the staff friendly or helpful
- Many guests approved of room cleanliness
- Several patrons judged the hotel to be quiet
- Many guests appreciated the morning breakfast, which includes fresh waffles and hard boiled eggs
- A few guests noted that the hotel had dated decor
- Some guests complained of smoke, stale or mildewy odour in thieir rooms
- Free Wi-Fi, free parking
- Numerous guests praised the hotel's reasonable and economical rates
- The hotel was described as being downtown and close to restaurants and shopping
- Several patrons enjoyed their clean and well-equipped rooms
- Some reviewers reported worn rooms and uncomfortable beds
- Noise transfer was reported by a few lodgers
- Free amenities: Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, parking
- Clean and comfortable rooms, said numerous guests
- Excellent location, according to many guests
- Many guests enjoyed the bay view from some rooms
- Several guests praised the friendly and helpful staff
- Numerous guests thought it was good value for money
- Included breakfast was very limited, according to many guests
- Lake view is obstructed in first floor rooms, according to some guests
- A few guests did not like that the sink was outside the bathroom
Tips For Staying Near Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst is open year round and hosts golf tournaments, triathalon and running events, pond hockey championships and adventure racing events. A live musical stage show provides evening entertainment on site.
Ice skating, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, horseback riding, winter paintball, downhill skiing and Mukluk Fat Tire Bike riding are available in the winter.
Indoor activities at the resort include a rock climbing wall, a games room and a children's YMCA program.
Summer activities include horseback riding, treetop ziplining, paintball, hiking, golfing, water skiing, wake boarding, tubing, boat tours and boat rentals.
Activity rates are available on the resort website and it's recommended to book your activity in advance by calling 1-800-461-4393 and choosing option 3.
*It should be noted that all of the above activities include a charge whether you're a registered guest of the hotel at Deerhurst Resort or an outside visitor to the resort.
For information on activities included in the room rate paid by registered guests of Deerhurst Resort hotel, see the Activity Rates page on their website, and look for activities where there is no price listed.
Outside visitors to the resort can have access to their facilities and the included activities by obtaining a day pass which is $10 for an adult and $20 for a family of four.